Lirio de Lavanda

Exquisite hand crafted creations by Lirio de Lavanda : )

Monday, November 8, 2010

Manurewa Market


My first market!!!!! On Sunday Linda had a stall at the Manurewa market to raise money for Wiremu Pomare who is on a mission to go to Athens next year as Papakura's first representative at the Special Olympics World Games. For a small donation to her cause she allowed myself and Mel to set up a table of our crafts : )

I had my jewellery, monkey cuddle blankies and lavender scented owl door stops. Mel had quilted oven mits and pot holders, apron, quilted tote bag dog blankies and mobile phone holders.

I didn't manage to sell as many of my crafts as I had hoped - two pairs of earrings and a necklace - but my sales skills were put to the test helping out Linda with her fundraising sales which were a great hit. I managed to learn heaps and have lots of ideas for my next market.

Firstly, MORE SIGNS! I found that although my signs were very pretty they were way too small and were missing some vital sales info. I had to keep telling people that my earrings were mother of pearl with sterling silver hooks, a HUGE selling point that was way understated on my small signs.

Secondly, CHAIRS! We arrived at the market just before 6am (it was a shock to the system when my alarm went off at 5am) and were on our feet the entire market. I was good for the first few hours, but when we hit a quiet spot in the market (between the early morning bargain hunters and later risers - usually me lol) I started looking around for anything to lean against or sit on.

Thrid, SHADE! When we arrived at the market in early hours it was a bit chilly but by 10am the sun was out in it's full glory and we had nowhere to hide. I was thanking my lucky stars that in the 5am stumble around my house I had the good sense to slap on some sun cream (for those who don't know me, I am fair skinned and freckled and burn in a matter of minutes).

Lastly, HEIGHT! Our table was lacking in height and dimension (except for my earring board which turned out great). So next time we need another backing board to pin things on (like my monkey cuddle blankie) so people can see them without walking right up to the table. Also maybe some bricks or boxes to place at the back of the table for things to sit on and create a tiered look.

So - although I didn't mange to sell as much as hoped, I have learnt a great deal. We will be back the Manurewa market this Sunday (14th November) and hopefully can put some of these ideas into action : )

Heres some photos of our table...

My Lavender scented Owl Door stops and Mels Mobile phone holders


Jewellery display




Monkey cuddle blankie





Mels quilted pot holders and dog blankies

1 comment:

  1. It was a great (but exausting!) day, and next week we will be back with gusto, and chairs... and shade :)

    ReplyDelete